Home > Our village > Village Hall > History


The village hall was built as a maltings and has a house at either side — now called Institute House and Allerton House. It was then converted and eventually left in trust to the Church in 1902 by a Miss Barney. It was used as a village institute for meetings and so on but became increasingly dilapidated and in 1982 the Church decided to hand it over to a Management Committee. Major renovations and updating were planned and undertaken financed by tremendous support from village people for a varied programme of fund-raising events, interest free loans from local businessmen, donations from the Parochial Church Council, Parish Council and various grants from Mid Suffolk District Council.

Funds have been used to repair, maintain and renew the fabric of the hall as well as provide essentials such as tables and chairs etc., to improve the standards of comfort and safety for all village hall users.